More Britons flock to Spain despite anti-tourist protests as holidaymakers warn 'be careful what you wish for'

Britons have been warned in recent weeks over disruptions amid demonstrations that have taken place in the Balearic and Canary Islands.

However, tourists have hit back as the number of visitors set to travel to Spain his year has soared.

The latest disruptions took place over the weekend in Majorca as around 15,000 protesters worked their way through Palma.

Reports claim locals were shouting “tourists go home” at holidaymakers who enjoyed alfresco dining. Around 1,000 took to the streets in Ibiza last Friday for similar protests.


More tourists are heading to Spain


Majorca and other parts of the Balearic Islands, such as Ibiza, have introduced further restrictions in a bid to reduce anti-social behaviour from tourists in holiday destinations.

New rules will see a ban on the sale of alcohol in shops between 9.30pm and 8am, with the restrictions set to stay in place until at least January 1, 2028.

Spain has long been a popular holiday destination among Britons and it seems the new rules are not putting them off, according to data by travel agency Destinia.

It has reported 54 per cent more bookings for Spain for summer 2024 compared to last year.

GB News readers have also hit back at protests from locals. One wrote: “The island earns most of its income from tourism.

“They should be careful what they wish for.” Another commented: “What other income have these tourist areas got? Tourism is the main income.” [SIC]

One more wrote: “Stop going to Spain for 12 months and they will be begging us to come back… Many British tourist spots would appreciate our patronage far more.”

This comes as Britons heading to Spain have been given a new travel warning regarding lost or stolen passports.

The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) shared new guidance for those in Spain.


Majorca beach

Majorca had more protests over the weekend


It said: “If your passport is lost or stolen, you must renew your passport or apply for an emergency travel document. You cannot use a police report to leave Spain.”

Or, tourists can apply for an emergency travel document. It added: “An emergency travel document lets you travel from abroad if you need to travel urgently and cannot use your UK passport. It is usually only valid for one single or return journey. You can travel through a maximum of five countries.

“You can apply for an emergency travel document if all the following apply: you’re a British national, you’re outside the UK, you need to travel within six weeks, your UK passport has been lost, stolen, damaged, is full, has recently expired or is with HM Passport Office or a foreign embassy, you cannot renew or replace your UK passport from abroad before you travel, and you have had a valid UK passport in the last 10 years.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *